Experiences with IPv6 and Routing Efficiency

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jan 18 17:49:44 UTC 2014

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 06:09:58 AM Mukom Akong T.
wrote:

> Does anyone have any experiences or insights to share on
> how  more (or less) efficient routing is with IPv6? Any
> specific thoughts with respect to how the following
> characteristics help or not with routing efficiency? -
> fixed header size
> - Extension header chain
> - flow labels in header
> - no intermediate fragmentation
> - no checksums

One thing to think about is routing efficiency.

At this time, networks that employ MPLS-TE for IPv4, and run
native IPv6, have challenges doing the same for IPv6, mostly
because it's not possible to point IPv6 traffic into MPLS-TE
tunnels built over an IPv4 control plane. If you are doing
6PE, this could be possible, but most vendors can't do the
former.

More native IPv6 control planes for MPLS (and by extension,
MPLS-TE) will mean that IPv6 traffic will travel the same
path as IPv4 traffic in MPLS-TE'd networks. When that will
be remains to be seen.

Until then, the most we can do for native IPv6 traffic is
fiddle around with IGP metrics, to obtain some kind of
reasonable TE.

Mark.