Internet Routing Registries - RADb, etc

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Fri Jan 17 16:07:34 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-16, at 18:21, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:

> On 2014-01-16 23:11, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>> On 16/01/2014 21:22, Jon Lewis wrote:
>>> Also, at least of the ones I've dealt with, there is no verification of
>>> records as they're entered.
>>
>> on the RIPE IRRDB, there is validation, so you can't just go in and
>> register route: objects for someone else's allocations or assignments.
>
> You mean auth for RIPE region prefixes, as one can also register
> ARIN/APNIC/etc prefixes in the RIPEdb and then, there is no auth (but a
> mail to dbm at ripe.net resolves any issues quite quickly if something fake
> is there)

Yep. For someone with non-RIPE NCC numbers the only manual part of the process is getting a maintainer object created. Once you've done that it's likely that your new parent route object in the RIPE db will be something like this:

inetnum:        199.91.32.0 - 199.255.255.255
netname:        NON-RIPE-NCC-MANAGED-ADDRESS-BLOCK
descr:          IPv4 address block not managed by the RIPE NCC
remarks:        ------------------------------------------------------
remarks:
remarks:        Networks in this range are not in use in
remarks:        the RIPE NCC service region.
remarks:
remarks:        You can find the whois server to query, or the
remarks:        IANA registry to query on this web page:
remarks:        http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
remarks:
remarks:        You can access databases of other RIR's at:
remarks:
remarks:        AFRINIC (Africa)
remarks:        http://www.afrinic.net/ whois.afrinic.net
remarks:
remarks:        APNIC (Asia Pacific)
remarks:        http://www.apnic.net/ whois.apnic.net
remarks:
remarks:        ARIN (Northern America)
remarks:        http://www.arin.net/  whois.arin.net
remarks:
remarks:        LACNIC (Latin America and the Carribean)
remarks:        http://www.lacnic.net/ whois.lacnic.net
remarks:
remarks:        ------------------------------------------------------

which includes

mnt-routes:     RIPE-NCC-RPSL-MNT

corresponding to

mntner:         RIPE-NCC-RPSL-MNT
descr:          This maintainer may be used to create objects to represent
descr:          routing policy in the RIPE Database for number resources not
descr:          allocated or assigned from the RIPE NCC.
admin-c:        RD132-RIPE
auth:           MD5-PW # Filtered
remarks:        * The password for this object is 'RPSL', without the *
remarks:        * quotes. Do NOT use this maintainer as 'mnt-by'.     *
mnt-by:         RIPE-DBM-MNT
referral-by:    RIPE-DBM-MNT
source:         RIPE # Filtered

Joe