Internet Routing Registries - RADb, etc

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Jan 16 21:22:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Eric Krichbaum wrote:

> I 100% agree with Nick.  But, in dealing with Level3, you need Level3
> Members Remarks in your objects to deal with multiple registries etc.
> They have an ok system that is a nightmare to pull from different
> datasources with them and they've churned the ultimately responsible
> individual a few times which makes it tough to get someone
> knowledgeable.  Larry and team however at RADB will respond to remove
> your entries from someone else's stale records without much hassle.
>
> Cogent will use your IRR data to generate a list the first time but they
> don't have a clue when it comes to keeping up to date.
>
> The underlying problem is that there is incentive to enter objects (or
> have them entered for you) but none to remove old/stale/incorrect
> objects.

Also, at least of the ones I've dealt with, there is no verification of
records as they're entered.  If your ASN/IPs are not already there, anyone
can put them in under their own maintainer object.  Since some providers
do use IRR data to build and maintain customer prefix filters, it's not
unusual for service providers to put customer ASNs/IPs into an IRR on
behalf of their customers...and when the customer leaves, there's really
no incentive to clean up and remove the objects.