best practice for advertising peering fabric routes

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 19:04:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Niels Bakker <niels=nanog at bakker.net> wrote:
>> * nanog at shankland.org (Jim Shankland) [Wed 15 Jan 2014, 18:04 CET]:
>>
>>> So ... RFC1918 addresses for the IXP fabric, then?
>>>
>>> (Half kidding, but still ....)
>>
>> They need to be globally unique.
>
> Hi Niels,
>
> Actually, they don't. To meet the basic definition of working, they
> just have to be able to originate ICMP destination unreachable packets
> with a reasonable expectation that the recipient will receive those
> packets. Global uniqueness is not required for that. However, RFC1918
> addresses don't meet the requirement for a different reason: they're
> routinely dropped at AS borders, thus don't have an expectation of
> reaching the external destination.
>
> Of course working, monitorable and testable are three different
> things. If my NMS can't reach the IXP's addresses, my view of the IXP
> is impaired. And "the Internet is broken" is not a trouble report that
> leads to a successful outcome with customer support... it helps to be
> able to pin things down with some specificity.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin

Using RFC1918 would incur the assumption that one will need to use a
unique router or routing instance for every exchange connected to
since exchanges are likely to have overlapping space at that point
(RFC1918 IXP registry anyone?).   I don't think it'd be a good idea to
go down that path..

Also mentioned in a past nanog was the idea of potentially getting
someone like team cymru to setup all exchange prefixes in a special
bogon list and you could null route on your edge all those prefixes..
I inquired to team cymru about this back when originally discussed but
never got anywhere with them.

--
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory