best practice for advertising peering fabric routes

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jan 15 14:57:26 UTC 2014

On (2014-01-15 08:18 -0600), Leo Bicknell wrote:

> I know a lot of people push next-hop-self, and if you're a large ISP with thousands of BGP customers is pretty much required to scale.

It's actually the polar opposite. If you are small, there are no compelling
reasons to put IXP in IGP.
If you are large, you may wish to have different IGP metric to two egress
points in same peering router. In which case you should at very least have IP
ACL in IXP interface which only allows LAN2LAN.

--
  ++ytti