best practice for advertising peering fabric routes

Eric A Louie elouie at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 01:55:38 UTC 2014

I have a connection to a peering fabric and I'm not distributing the peering fabric routes into my network.

I see three options
1. redistribute into my igp (OSPF)

2. configure ibgp and route them within that infrastructure.  All the default routes go out through the POPs so iBGP would see packets destined for the peering fabric and route it that-a-way

3. leave it "as is", and let the outbound traffic go out my upstreams and the inbound traffic come back through the peering fabric

Advantages and disadvantages, pros and cons?  Recommendations?  Experiences, good and bad?

I have 5 POPs, 2 OSPF areas, and have not brought iBGP up between the POPs yet.  That's another issue completely from a planning perspective.

thanks
Eric