[Off-Topic] Ubersmith

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 02:08:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Aaron <aaron at wholesaleinternet.net> wrote:
 > We rolled our own.  A friend is migrating to WHMCS from Ubersmith.
>
> Aaron

I would be standoffish, due to Ubersmith alleged recent history of price
increases.    Admittedly... I am very skeptical about the concept of
datacenter management  or billing software providers charging  a big
monthly fee, plus  extra per-client and  extra per managed-device.

That doesn't mean it's always a bad idea;  it's just really annoying.

If smart phones were sold like Enterprise software....

"Customer: How much for this smart phone?"

"Sales clerk: How many people do you plan to call with it?"

"Customer:  Uh, 5 or 6 friends and family members."

"Sales clerk:  I see... well that will be $300  plus $25 per contact, so
the total comes to  $450.    In  5 years the newer model will be $499 for
you."

"Customer: Wait...  I also need to receive calls from 3 important business
clients"

"Sales clerk: In that case, the same smart phone costs $2500,  plus an
extra $100/month license fee  for each business contact,  and a 30% annual
maintenance --  if you fail to renew before the end of the 12 months, it
will deactivate and it will be full price to turn it back on."

--
-JH