Open source hardware

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 9 12:45:02 UTC 2014

On (2014-01-09 00:36 -0500), Brandon Ross wrote:

> So, in other words, you should make higher demands of your 3rd party
> optics providers than any of the OEMs could meet?  When was the last
> time your OEM lowered your pricing for you when their supplies got
> cheaper? And when was the last time they changed their part number
> when they changed the casing of an optic?

We have some contracts were price decreases automatically each year for next
5-6 years.
Cisco sometimes changes P#, sometimes not, change is documented and explained
in either case, you can track these in Cisco PCN Tool. It's everything down to
rack screws.

Specialized shop, doing professionally just optics are able to do this for
you, brokers buying where they can get cheapest, have no idea what they sell
to you.

--
  ++ytti