Verizon FIOS IPv6?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Jan 8 22:03:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014, Ian Bowers wrote:

> So I rock HE like many of you.  It works pretty well, and I'm, guessing
> I get a lot more address space via HE than VZ would give me.

I have a tunnel through HE and it is solid.

Verizon states on their "What is IPv6?" page that they will provide a /56
to customers.  At least they fixed the typo that up until recently said
that a /56 was 56 LANs, so at least that's a step in the right direction.

My guesses for the foot-dragging, re: v6 deployment on FiOS:
1. Can't get their set-top boxes working on it yet.  One customer service
rep told me this.  I didn't feel up to starting the whole "what's
wrong with dual-stack?" argument.

2. Still working out how to update back-end provisioning systems.

3. Dealing with different vintages of premise routers (older Actiontecs
don't support it), ONTs, and possibly aggregation routers.

4. Still developing M&Ps and training materials for provisioners and
front-line customer service reps.

5. They haven't hit a critical mass of non-static customers bitching about
performance problems due to LSN.

6. Layer 8-10 issues.

I do know Verizon is a very siloed organization.  VZO doesn't communicate
much with VZW or VZB, and vice versa, which is a shame.  v6 on my VZW 4G
LTE phone just plain works.

jms