10gbps peering subscriber switch recommendation

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 8 12:34:58 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:47:45 PM Nick Hilliard
wrote:

> it's the merchant silicon boxes which are driving high
> density 10g prices down,...

As they should, and good news for us all, but...

> but most of these boxes tends
> to come with small fibs and tiny buffers which limits
> their deployment usefulness.  Still, if they work for
> your requirements, they are completely awesome.

My thinking is that provided they don't limit themselves in
the QoS side of things (particularly, how different services
going into the CPE can be policed/SLA'd), then they'd make
good FTTH access nodes that can compete with GPON.

But yes, as an IP route, pretty useless.

Mark.