turning on comcast v6

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 10:33:20 UTC 2014

On 4 January 2014 06:06, Ricky Beam <jfbeam at gmail.com> wrote:

> It'll **NEVER** be a default because it breaks too many clueless people's
> networks.  Just like, surprise, DHCP "guard" isn't on by default in any
> gear I'm aware of.

Spanning-tree portfast isn't on by default, and that breaks plenty of
clueless people's networks with client DHCP timeouts.  Just sayin'.

I appreciate the view that IPv6 was designed in a certain way, partly to
fix the problems and remove the kludges in IPv4; the reality is that IPv4
was wildly successful because it wasn't the proscriptive OSI.

Whilst I would prefer not to see the mistakes of IPv4 repeated (especially
NAT and RFC1918 addressing) trying to "help" people not shoot themselves in
the foot will simply retard deployment and maybe result in even worse
workarounds.

Come on people - Postel's Law applies, let's be liberal in what we accept
into the protocol design too.  If users want DHCP served default gateway,
fine.  Nobody's forcing you to enable it on your network if you don't want
to.

Aled