Open source hardware

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Jan 4 17:18:33 UTC 2014

On 04/01/2014 11:38, Saku Ytti wrote:
> Right now some of the big name vendors are running really archaic and naive
> control-planes, and it's hard for them internally to justify project to
> rebuild it all, because customers will largely accept even the shitty
> control-plane, because that is only thing you get with that hardware.

Re: crappy control planes, I wouldn't particularly mind paying licensing
fees if there were a choice about what software to use.  But there isn't
and you end up with with the worst of all worlds: no choice about which
particular control plane software (and consequently which bug+feature set)
you want to run, no incentive for vendors to deal with enhancements other
than on the basis of how much revenue they'll create in the next quarter,
and no option but to pay twice: once for the hardware and a second time if
you actually want to use it.  Open source control planes may not fix all
these problems, but there is no doubt that they will put pressure on
vendors to compete on uncomfortably close turf.

Nick