turning on comcast v6

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Jan 4 16:10:24 UTC 2014

On Jan 3, 2014, at 7:52 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Well… Sure, 15 years after DHCP attacks first started being a serious problem… I doubt it will take anywhere near 15 years for RA guard on by default to be the norm in switches, etc.

I count over a dozen ethernet switches in my home that do not have DHCP guard.  Indeed, half of them do not have a management interface at all.  Even my "business class cable modem" does not implement DHCP guard on it's integrated switch.

I also don't know of a single device, from any vendor, that turns DHCP guard on by default.  I'd appreciate pointers if there is one.

I know a half dozen people sent some form of "don't do that" when I gave the example of plugging in a "rogue" router with my corporate scenario.  Maybe in a corporate scenario that's plausible, there will be intelligent admins (ha!).  What happens when Joe Home User buys a new Linksys and wants to plug it in to get a firmware update before installing it?  Are we really supposed to expect that every Joe Homeowner understands RA Guard and configures it for their home network?