Open source hardware

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Sat Jan 4 11:08:11 UTC 2014

On 3-1-2014 14:33, Saku Ytti wrote:
> Right now, if you need perfomance, you're going to have to buy something like
> bcom chip and then cumulusnetworks linux on top of it, it's as close to 'open
> source' as you're going to get with good performance.
> And this is more or less DC stuff, SP market needs more intelligent chips than
> those ASICs, and I don't think there anything 'open source' in the market
> place for NPU stuff.

No hands-on experience with Cumulus Networks equipment, but from what I
have heard I like their approach to open hardware/software for routing
equipment.  It is flexible what you want to configure and run (all open
source software).  For the hardware switching support they license their
Switch HAL module.

Cheers,

-- Benno