Comcast/Level3 issues

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Fri Jan 3 15:55:04 UTC 2014

Comcast having saturated links to other providers is a common and
frequently discussed issue.  Here is one previous NANOG thread on the topic:

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2010-December/029251.html

And a related article:
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Claims-Resurface-Concerning-Congested-Comcast-TATA-Links-111818

There are debates back and forth on the validity of the graphs from the
NANOG post, but it is a fact that at that time Comcast was heavily
pre-pending their Level BGP advertisements to force traffic over to
Tata, and many many people noticed congestion at those links in a
variety of markets.

I wish you luck, but my personal opinion is that your fastest resolution
would be to move to another provider.  Comcast is a residential ISP that
lives on extreme over-subscription and not actually being able to
deliver what customers believe they have. You'll notice a lot of recent
news about increased and more strict data caps for their subscribers,
and that is the only thing they will likely be doing to relieve these
types of recurring issues.

   -Scott