Open source hardware

Raymond Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Fri Jan 3 13:10:48 UTC 2014

> Vyatta and now VyOS are important projects for networking.  We really need
> to get away from locked down non-free hardware and software for critical
> infrastructure.
>
> It's natural that most of the people in this community (myself included)
> will be fans of companies like Cisco and Juniper and dismiss anything
else,
> but that mindset for me change when I deployed 100+ whitebox units 3
> years
> ago and saved nearly a million in the process.

If all you want to do is push regular packets around, these opensource
alternatives might be adequate to the task.

But many networks catering to business endpoints deal with private circuit
issues.  Which generally leads to an MPLS/VPLS based infrastructure.  Which
I havn't seen in a reliable opensource flavor.  But I could be mistaken.

believed to be clean.