Managing IOS Configuration Snippets

Keegan Holley no.spam at comcast.net
Fri Feb 28 01:38:42 UTC 2014

Putting aside the fact that snippets aren’t a good way to conceptualize deployed router code, my gut still tells me to question the question here.  The first is does this stuff change often enough to warrant a fancy versioning solution?  I have yet to see NTP deployed in a different way than when I first learned to configure it.  Next, when it does change how often is it not rolled out to every router.  If NTP or CPP or SNMP or some other administrative option were configured differently across my network I would want to audit it and fix not version control.  What if some of the configs don’t match the defined versions?  It may be better to create standard templates and version them in SVN or GIT and then use config backups to track which devices have the standard configs.  There are some for pay tools that can search for certain statements on various boxes and either alert or remediate when differences are found.