Managing IOS Configuration Snippets

Simon Knight simon.knight at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 18:47:09 UTC 2014

On 27 February 2014 10:39, Ryan Shea <ryanshea at google.com> wrote:
> Very cool, thanks Erik. I can think of many ways to encode version
> metadata. Probably best to be somewhere in between overly verbose (full
> version $Id / date / author for every config chunk) and being unreadable
> (base64 encoded gzip of unique configlet identifiers and versions).
> Updating a banner feels a bit easier when you are pushing a full
> device-specific configuration from a templating system. Regardless of where
> it is stored, keeping the metadata in one of these fields (banner for
> example) means that checking the contents of the banner configlet now
> requires slightly more logic - which is fine.
>
> Chuck, interesting use of alias.
>
> Simon, completely agree that the network itself should not be the intent
> store. The real focus here is when your intent is in a DB/templating system
> thingy, how do you operationally ensure that intent matches reality. Again,
> with many devices going through upgrades, disabled/unreachable devices, new
> devices, pre-configured devices. The intent pusher is not blindly and
> constantly pushing to all devices, and it's likely not safe to do that.

Absolutely. Expect/SNMP/config scraping is a solution here. It's
tedious and boring to write the hooks, but it's not impossible.
A solution like tail-f is a much better solution here. My personal
preference would be to just push/pull JSON off the devices.

I think there are two separate components here (which are often
conflated): the mechanics to push/pull from devices into a data
structure, and the network database to work with those data
structures. There's a place for both device level models and network
level models.

--Simon