Managing IOS Configuration Snippets

Ryan Shea ryanshea at google.com
Thu Feb 27 18:39:08 UTC 2014

Very cool, thanks Erik. I can think of many ways to encode version
metadata. Probably best to be somewhere in between overly verbose (full
version $Id / date / author for every config chunk) and being unreadable
(base64 encoded gzip of unique configlet identifiers and versions).
Updating a banner feels a bit easier when you are pushing a full
device-specific configuration from a templating system. Regardless of where
it is stored, keeping the metadata in one of these fields (banner for
example) means that checking the contents of the banner configlet now
requires slightly more logic - which is fine.

Chuck, interesting use of alias.

Simon, completely agree that the network itself should not be the intent
store. The real focus here is when your intent is in a DB/templating system
thingy, how do you operationally ensure that intent matches reality. Again,
with many devices going through upgrades, disabled/unreachable devices, new
devices, pre-configured devices. The intent pusher is not blindly and
constantly pushing to all devices, and it's likely not safe to do that.