Managing IOS Configuration Snippets

Simon Knight simon.knight at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 18:23:12 UTC 2014

A lot of template management discussion focusses on using the network
configs as the canonical model of the network.
Storing the network model in the DB (whatever form that takes) is much
more sane.

There is the brownfields issue of populating that database and then
building device state from there, but once that's done a lot of the
problems go away.
A solution like rancid/tail-f then simply becomes the mechanics to
push your device state to the devices.

Some good stuff here:
https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog44/presentations/Monday/Gill_programatic_N44.pdf

--Simon