Managing IOS Configuration Snippets

Ryan Shea ryanshea at google.com
Thu Feb 27 12:45:47 UTC 2014

To clarify a bit, systems to grab or store the running config or keep track
of intent. Let's assume that comparing the deployed configuration of an
individual device to intent derived from a bunch of configuration bits from
an RCS system is *hard*.

For example, let's say you have a vty configuration which has a couple
sections, line vty 0 2 and line vty 3 5. Someone updates this configuration
in your RCS which removes the access-class from line vty 0 2 and adds it to
the access-class for line vty 3 5. Let's also assume that you have *lots*
of devices and *lots* of configurations and you cannot reasonably
egrep/regexp your way to success here.

I thank you all for your responses. I was hoping that someone trick I was
not seeing and would say "oh, you just need to do..."