Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

Keegan Holley no.spam at comcast.net
Wed Feb 26 12:56:04 UTC 2014

On Feb 25, 2014, at 12:22 PM, Staudinger, Malcolm <mstaudinger at corp.earthlink.com> wrote:

> Why wouldn't you just block chargen entirely? Is it actually still being used these days for anything legitimate?

More politely stated, it’s not the responsibility of the operator to decide what belongs on the network and what doesn’t.  Users can run any services that’s not illegal or even reuse ports for other applications.  That being said commonly exploited ports (TCP 25 for example) are often blocked.  This is usually done to block or protect an application though not to single out a particular port number.