Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Mon Feb 24 14:23:30 UTC 2014

We have had pretty good success in identifying offenders with simple
monitoring flow data for NTP flows destined for our address space with
packet counts higher than 100; we disable them and notify to correct
the configuration on the host.  Granted we only service about 1,000
different customers.

In cases where a large amount of incoming traffic was generated, we
have been able to temporarily blackhole offenders to not saturate
smaller downstream connections until traffic levels die down;
unfortunately it takes a few days for that to happen, and many service
providers outside the US don't seem to be very responsive to their
published abuse address.

I prefer targeted, temporary, and communicated filtering for actual
incidents over blanket filtering for potential incidents.

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net