Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

James Braunegg james.braunegg at micron21.com
Sun Feb 23 21:39:08 UTC 2014

Dear All

I released a bit of a blog article last week about filtering NTP request traffic via packet size which might be of interest !

So far I known of an unknown tool makes a default request packet of 50 bytes in size
ntpdos.py makes a default request packet of 60 bytes in size
ntp_monlist.py makes a default request packet of 234 bytes in size
monlist from ntpdc makes a default request packet of 234 bytes in size

In contrast a normal NTP request for a time sync is about 90 bytes in size

More information and some graphs can be found here  http://www.micron21.com/ddos-ntp.php

Kindest Regards

James Braunegg
P:  1300 769 972  |  M:  0488 997 207 |  D:  (03) 9751 7616
E:   james.braunegg at micron21.com  |  ABN:  12 109 977 666
W:  www.micron21.com/ddos-protection   T: @micron21

This message is intended for the addressee named above. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose it to anyone other than the addressee. If you have received this message in error please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer.