Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 17:03:59 UTC 2014

What is the business model for the IX? Unauthorized filtering of
incoming traffic risks collateral damage and outing exchange members
seems problematic.

The business model seems clearer when offering filtering as a service
to downstream networks, the effects are narrowly scoped, and members
have control over the traffic they accept from the exchange, e.g. I
don't want to accept NTP traffic to any destination that exceeds
1Gbit/s, or is sourced from an NTP server on my blacklist. Giving
policy control to the downstream allows them to protect their networks
and make business decisions about how they want to prioritize services
and customers when resources are constrained.

Would exchange members pay for this type of control? DDoS mitigation
appears to be less of a technical problem than an issue of misaligned
costs and benefits. How do you create incentives for upstream
providers to invest in solutions when the benefits accrue downstream?