Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

Cb B cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 09:07:18 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 12:38 AM, Carsten Bormann <cabo at tzi.org> wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2014, at 08:47, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised MinimaLT and QUIC have have not put transport area people in
>> high gear towards standardization of new PKI based L4 protocol, I think its
>> elegant solution to many practical reoccurring problem, solution which has
>> become practical only rather recently.
>
> Oh, the transport area people *are* in their high gear.
> Their frantic movements may just seem static to you as they operate on more drawn-out time scales.
> (The last transport protocol I worked on became standards-track 16 years after I started working on it.)
>
> At this IETF, there will be a "Transport Services" BOF to help find out what exactly the services are that a new transport protocol should provide to the applications.  Research platforms such as QUIC, tcpcrypt, MINION etc. are very much in the focus of attention.
>
> This time, it would be nice if the operations people got to have a say early on in what gets standardized.
> (Just be careful not to try to "fight yesterday's war".)
>
> Grüße, Carsten

yesterday's war = don't bring up that operators are having a real
problem with UDP, and that operators have and will continue to block
it?  Because, i think that is what this thread is about.

i did bring yesterday's war to the IETF RTCWweb group and got the
expected answer

My concern:

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg11425.html

Summary IETF response:  The problem i described is already solved by
bcp38, nothing to see here, carry on with UDP

 https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg11477.html

CB