out of band management gear

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Feb 21 22:22:31 UTC 2014

On (2014-02-21 15:17 -0600), Jeremy Bresley wrote:

> connections to devices that needed them.  Expensive options in a
> fully loaded chassis just for a couple lower-end devices that could
> easily justify a couple dollars more to get a Gig PHY instead of the
> older 100Mb PHY chip.

There is no technical reason why subrateSFP and subrateSFP+ couldn't exist,
which is 1GE or 10GE towards host and offers 10/100/1000 towards client.
Obviously the optic would be significantly more expensive than normal optic,
as it needs to do lot more, including buffering. But if 1GE optic costs 10EUR,
this subrate optic could easily cost 100EUR.
Just needs some optic vendor to figure out if there is sufficient market for
it.

Randy suggested it is untypical these days to find kit which does not
understand multirate, my experience is the opposite, it's getting rarer to
find multirate support.
Even in cases when they do it, it's often supposedly mode in SGMII where it
can be instructed to send same bit 10 times, allowing cheap 1/10th rate.

--
  ++ytti