Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

Cb B cb.list6 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 21:22:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Damian Menscher <damian at google.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

>> are

>> byte
>> packets
>> >
>> > If your equipment supports this, and you're seeing reflected NTP
>> attacks, then it is an effective stopgap to block nearly all of the inbound
>> attack traffic to affected hosts. Some still comes through from NTP servers
>> running on nonstandard ports, but not much.
>>

> Also, don't forget to ask those sending the attack traffic to trace where
> the spoofed packets ingressed their networks.
>
>  > Standard IPv4 NTP response packets are 76 bytes (plus any link-level
>> headers), based on my testing. I have been internally filtering packets of
>> other sizes against attack targets for some time now with no ill-effect.
>>
>> You can filter packets that are 440 bytes in size and it will do a lot to
>> help the problem, but make sure you conjoin these with protocol udp and
>> port=123 rules to avoid collateral damage.
>>

> Preferably just source-port 123.
>
> You may also want to look at filtering UDP/80 outright as well, as that is
>> commonly used as an "I'm going to attack port 80" by attackers that don't
>> quite understand the difference between UDP and TCP.
>>

> Please don't filter UDP/80.  It's used by QUIC (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QUIC).
>
> Damian

The folks at QUIC have been advised to not use UDP for a new protocol,
and they would be very well advised to not use UDP:80 since that is a
well known target port used in the DDoS reflection attacks.

As Jared noted, UDP:80 is a cesspool today.  Attempting to use it for
legit traffic is not smart.

CB