Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

Laszlo Hanyecz laszlo at heliacal.net
Thu Feb 20 21:05:24 UTC 2014

Filtering will always break something.  Filtering 'abusive' network traffic is intentionally difficult - you either just let it be, or you filter it along with the 'good' network traffic that it's pretending to be.  How can you even tell it's NTP traffic - maybe by the port numbers?  What if someone is running OpenVPN on those ports?  What about IP options?  Maybe some servers return extra data?

This is really not a network operator problem, it's an application problem if anything.  While it makes sense to temporarily filter a large flood to keep the rest of your customers online, it's a very blunt instrument, as the affected customer is usually still taken offline - but I'm talking about specific targeted filters anyway.  Doing blanket filtering based on packet sizes is sure to generate some really hard to debug failure cases that you didn't account for.

Unfortunately, as long as Facebook loads, most of the users are happy, and so these kinds of practices will likely be implemented in many places, with some people opting to completely filter NTP or UDP.  Maybe it will buy you a little peace and quiet today, but tomorrow it's just going to be happening on a different port/protocol that you can't inspect deeply, and you don't dare block.  I can imagine 10 years from now, where we're writing code that fragments replies into 100 byte packets to get past this, and everyone loses.  Your filter is circumvented, the application performs slower, and the 'bad guys' found another way that you can't filter.  When all that's left is TCP port 443, that's what all the 'abuse' traffic will be using too.

Laszlo