VMware Training

Dan Shoop shoop at iwiring.net
Thu Feb 20 18:55:39 UTC 2014

[See below]

On Feb 19, 2014, at 10:46 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> Why bother with a clustering FS, then, if you cannot actually /use it/ as one?
> - jra
>
> On February 19, 2014 10:44:22 PM EST, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

Ghods how I miss real tightly coupled clustering, shared hierarchical storage and true clustered filesystems like in VMS. Here’s a 35 year old OS that still is better than anything we have today. Secure, granular prigs, file versioning, multiple simultaneous cluster interconnect physical layers, POSIX compliance, heavy distributed networking and strong system services built in. When people tell me about clustering today and then add these caveats about how clustered files aren’t actually sharable or that you can’t have complete orthogonality.

I guess I’m now old.

-d

-----

Dan Shoop