VMware Training

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Feb 20 18:16:23 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Eugeniu Patrascu" <eugen at imacandi.net>

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com>
> wrote:

I guess.  You and Jimmy seem to be asserting that, in fact, you *cannot*
mount a given physical volume, with a clustering FS in its partition,
onto multiple running OS images at the same time... at which point, why
bother using a clustering FS?

The point of clustering FSs (like Gluster, say), as I understood it,
was that they could be mounted by multiple machines simultaneously: that
there was no presumed state between the physical blocks and the FS driver
inside each OS, which would cause things to Fail Spectacularly if more
than one machine was simultaneously using them in realtime.

You and Jimmy seem to be suggesting that multiple OSs need to be semaphored.

One of three understandings here is wrong.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra