NTP DRDos Blog post

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Feb 20 17:17:51 UTC 2014

On Feb 20, 2014, at 11:34 AM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2014, at 11:23 PM, Brian Rak <brak at gameservers.com> wrote:
>
>> That's not a new term.
>
> It isn't used by folks involved in operational security.  It's a marketing term.

I'll split the difference, folks in operational security dislike the term as they
feel it's inaccurate.  They tend to think it's marketing vs operational related.

Reflection attacks are considered a sub-type of DoS/DDoS and do not require a new
term.  It's the same problem folks have with absolute terms like "Unlimited Data"
with the asterisk.

Can I direct the knife-fights about that part off-list? :)  (and preferably exclude me,
i get enough email).

- jared