Work Practices of Cyber Security Professionals

Muhammad Adnan muhammad.adnan200 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 21:09:12 UTC 2014

Dear Valdis,

>1) If you're including network admins, you should also make sure to
>get system admins (though you'll be more successful asking elsewhere for
those).

We are also targeting system admins. As I mentioned in my e-mail, "targeted
participants for this survey are those who perform security related
activities as a part of their job". After this sentence, I mentioned a
couple of roles as an example. By those examples I meant "including but not
limited to".

>2) Having worn at least a partial hat of all those along my career, I'm
>curious what sort of tools will improve work practices for all the groups
>concerned.

The goal of this project is not to improve the work practices for all the
groups concerned. Instead, our aim is to first find out what cyber security
professionals (we are using this term to define anyone who performs
security related activities) do on day-to-day basis and which of  their
activities are relatively significant (i.e. performed frequently and
require more time) than others. Once we establish that, then we will pick a
couple of relatively significant activities from their workflow and build
tools for those activities, following a user-centered design process.

But, to get to that stage we first need to know that cyber security
professionals do, how often they do that, and how much time they spend on
doing that.

Hope that answers you questions. Feel free to ask if you have anymore.

Best wishes,
Adnan