"Everyone should be deploying BCP 38! Wait, they are ...."

Robert Drake rdrake at direcpath.com
Tue Feb 18 20:56:19 UTC 2014

On 2/18/2014 2:19 PM, James Milko wrote:
> Is using data from a self-selected group even meaningful when
> extrapolated?  It's been a while since Stats in college, and it's very
> likely the guys from MIT know more than I do, but one of the big things
> they pushed was random sampling.
>
> JM

Isn't it probable that people who know enough to download the spoofer
projects program and run it might also be in position to fix things when
it's broken, or they may just be testing their own networks which
they've already secured, just to verify they got it right.

I may put it on my laptop and start testing random places like
Starbucks, my moms house, conventions and other things, but if I'm
running it from my home machine it's just to get the gold "I did this" star.

So yeah, data from the project is probably meaningless unless someone
uses it as a worm payload and checks 50,000 computers randomly (of
course I don't advise this.  I just wish there was a way to really push
this to be run by everyone in the world for a week)

Maybe with enough hype we could get CNN to advise people to download
it.  Actually, it would be nice if someone who writes security software
like NOD32 or Malwarebytes, or spybot, adaware, etc, would integrate it
into their test suite.  Then you get the thousands of users from them
added to the results.