ddos attack blog

Wayne E Bouchard web at typo.org
Fri Feb 14 18:22:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:01:27PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
> I would actually like to ask for those folks to un-block NTP so there is proper data on the number of hosts for those researching this.  The right thing to do is reconfigure them.  I've seen a good trend line in NTP servers being fixed, and hope we will see more of that in the next few weeks.

A slight exception to that statement, if I may...

The right thing to do is for people to not permit services to operate
on hosts they do not intend to operate on and not to be visible to
those they do not intend to use them. In other words, to properly
manage their networks. If that means blocking all access to
potentially faulty implementations, then that's the right thing to do.
In short, companies should do what is right for their companies and
nevermind anyone else.

Never forget that researches are just part of the "public" and should
never consider that their usage of the internet is any more or less
valid to the average third party than the next guy.

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard
web at typo.org