7206 VXR NPE-G1 throughput

Mark Walters mark at metricnetservices.com
Tue Feb 11 21:03:34 UTC 2014

We run 7206 NPE-G1s on some GigE peering points.  At about 800Mbps of
aggregate Internet traffic (inbound + outbound, as measured from Cacti)
the CPU sits around 70%.

Setup:
- inbound and outbound Internet-facing ACLs (50 lines and 25 lines
respectively, turbo ACL)
- Inbound Internet-facing policy-map to remark DSCP (references 7-line ACL)
- minimal routes via BGP (approx 1500)
- 15.1 SP train

YMMV, but they work well for us in this scenario.  With
downstream-to-upstream traffic patterns of approx 7-to-1 the GigE and CPU
will peak out at about the same time.

Side note - our G2s at that same 800Mbps traffic rate run at approx 60%
CPU.

Cheers
Mark W