7206 VXR NPE-G1 throughput

Vlade Ristevski vristevs at ramapo.edu
Mon Feb 10 15:17:09 UTC 2014

We are looking to double the bandwidth on one of our circuits from
300Mbps to 600Mbps. We currently use a Cisco 7206VXR with an NPE-G1
card. These seem like very popular routers so I'm hoping a few people on
this list have them deployed. If you or a customer have these deployed,
how much bandwidth have you seen them handle? This will be handling dorm
traffic at a college so it's mostly download. The 7206 handles our 300
Mbps circuit just fine, but we are moving it to our 600Mbps circuit. At
peak we've seen the following numbers for that circuit:

   30 second input rate 559982000 bits/sec, 55809 packets/sec
   30 second output rate 55429000 bits/sec, 32598 packets/sec
      267756984712 packets input, 333325152556755 bytes, 0 no buffer

This is the interface that connects to our provider. As you can see its
almost all download traffic. Our ASR1002 handles it without a sweat but
I'm a little skeptical of whether the 7206 will hold up.

Answers on and off list are appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Vlad