Need trusted NTP Sources

Andriy Bilous andriy.bilous at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 20:08:00 UTC 2014

Best practice is five. =) I don't remember if it's in FAQ on ntp.org or in
David Mills' book. Your local clock is kind of gullible "push-over" which
will "vote" for the "party" providing most reasonable data. The algorithm
would filter out insane sources which run too far from the rest and then
group sane sources into 2 "parties" - your clock will follow the one where
runners are closer to each other. That is why uneven number of trustworthy
sources at least at start is required. With 2 sources you will blindly
follow the one which is closer to your own clock. You're also having the
the risk to degrade into this situation when you lose 1 out of 3 sources.
Four is again 2:2 and only with five you have a good chance to start
disciplining your clock into the right direction at the right pace, so when
1 source is lost you (most probably) won't run into insanity.