carrier comparison

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Sat Feb 8 14:07:05 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied on and off list to my original inquiry.

I'd sum up feedback as follows:
-	Although Cogent has been surprisingly good for some, in general almost everyone agreed that it should never be relied upon as your main Internet provider. As a secondary link, they are a good value.
-	People had generally good feedback about Level3
-	Having one carrier provide service over another carrier’s fiber is generally not a problem. Sometimes it adds complication when things go wrong (and a couple people had some pretty extreme cases to share), but in general most people did not recommend shying away from this kind of relationship.
-	Time Warner also received positive reviews in general as a carrier

I was also surprised how many small ISPs like us are on the NANOG list. I kinda assumed most of you were big operators that dwarf us. It's great to have received perspectives from both large and small operators.

Thanks again, everyone.

Adam