Blocking of domain strings in iptables

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sat Feb 8 08:34:45 UTC 2014

This is going to be tricky to do, as DNS packets don't necessarily contain
entire query values or FQDNs as complete strings due to packet label
compression (remember, original DNS only has 512 bytes to work with).

You can use those u32 module matches to find some known-bad packets if
they're sufficiently unique, but it simply lacks enough logic to fully
parse DNS queries.
Here's an interesting example to visualize what's happening:
http://dnsamplificationattacks.blogspot.com/p/iptables-block-list.html

One quick thing that would work would be to match a single label (e.g.
"google", but not "google.com"), but this will end up blocking any frames
with that substring in it (e.g. you want to block "evil.com", but this also
blocks "evil.example.com").

If you find yourself needing to parse and block DNS packets based on their
content in a more flexible way, I would look into either making an iptables
module that does the DNS parsing (
http://inai.de/documents/Netfilter_Modules.pdf), or using a userspace
library like with NFQUEUE (e.g. https://pypi.python.org/pypi/NetfilterQueue)
or l7-filter (http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/).