SIP on FTTH systems

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Feb 8 06:42:22 UTC 2014

On Saturday, February 08, 2014 04:41:55 AM Anders Löwinger
wrote:

> So, as I wrote to Mikael, don't you need to use proxy-ARP
> or proxy-ND to get devices in same L2 domain to be able
> to communicate? They are on same subnet so they will
> ARP/ND for each other.

No, you don't, and you don't want to either.

You customers will have visibility to one another at Layer 2
if you don't enable Split Horizon, MAC-FF, Private VLAN's,
or whatever implementation your favorite vendor uses to
prevent inter-communication between customers in a shared
VLAN at the AN/bridge level.

While it seems sensible, it normally isn't a good idea. The
majority of what will take place between customers at Layer
2 is dirt. Best to run them through a Layer 3 device
upstream and apply appropriate filtering.

> There is no rocket science here. Scripting in
> routers/switches seems to be more common, Cisco has TCL
> and some Nexus and Arista boxes do Python.
>
> There is only some hooks into the control/forwarding
> plane needed to do advanced services in access.
> Forwarding plane is covered mostly by SDN so half the
> work is done.
>
> In a 24/48 port access switch there are few clients, so
> scripting performance is not a problem.

I'm more impressed by the braveness of this implementation,
than the actual implementation itself, I mean.

In our case, given the number of customers in question that
would terminate on a BNG (be it a small switch or big
router), long term control plane performance is a huge
concern, as well as how the hardware handles Multicast and
other corner-case services in various topologies.

Mark.