SIP on FTTH systems

Anders Löwinger anders at abundo.se
Sat Feb 8 02:23:20 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-06 20:04, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> No, you don't. It works perfectly well without direct port-to-port
> communication, you just have to align L3 configuration with this L2 behavior
> (which can be done in IPv6 but not in IPv4).
>
> IPv6 can be made to work without on-link /64, with only DHCPv6 IA_NA
> (optional) and only DHCPv6-PD. This means all communication goes via the
> router which then is perfectly aligned with how the L2 looks like with port
> isolation/private vlan.

Yes, you are of course correct. I was thinking about selective filtering
information between ports, but that is stupid/way too complex and most
hardware cannot do that in a good way.

I guess you still need proxy-ND or similar as described in RFC4389, and you
don't accept clients with IP addresses not assigned over DHCPv6. Fair
tradeoffs, SLAAC does not work with abuse etc.

/Anders