carrier comparison

Vlade Ristevski vristevs at ramapo.edu
Thu Feb 6 22:25:53 UTC 2014

B)  We have our own AS and IP space. I advertise them to both Cogent and
our other ISP. I use the local preference attribute to share the load
for incoming traffic between both ISPs. In the last 5 outages over the
last few years, this has happened twice. I'm waiting on the RFO so I can
further investigate why this happened. I think someone mentioned this in
a post a few months ago too.

It sucks for us, because we're a small school and don't have someone in
a NOC to monitor our networks 24x7. I literally had to get out of bed
and disable our BGP session with them for us to get through the outage.
I was getting around 90% packet loss from my home to our router.

--
Vlad