SIP on FTTH systems

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 6 16:52:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:

> You do not want the incumbent/wholesaler to perform DHCP. This is a HUGE
> headache. We have that in Canada for cable wholesale (TPIA). The
> incumbent has to micromanage each ISPs IP blocks and carve subnets for
> each CMTS (for cable).

You could have the wholesaler do DHCP inspection and antispoofing etc
based on that, but not actually do the DHCP servering.

> For as much as everyone hates PPPoE, it makes for managememnt of a
> wholesale systems much much easier.

FTTH is supposed to be for higher speeds, putting PPPoE in there makes it
a lot more expensive than it has to be.

> Ideally, there would be some protocol where the CPE would setup a layer
> 2 SVC to the ISP, after which the ISP can provide DHCP services etc.

I don't see that needed, doesn't the wholesaler already know what port has
chosen what ISP and can set up L2 to that ISP?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se