SIP on FTTH systems

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Thu Feb 6 16:38:23 UTC 2014

On 14-02-06 08:06, Mark Tinka wrote:

> I'm just saying DHCP is better than PPPoE if you're
> greenfielding FTTH deployments today, and I'm not sure you
> entirely disagree.

When an incumbent already has PPPoE deployed for its DSL, putting FTTH
on PPPoE makes it simpler.

And PPPoE really simplifies wholesale systems.

You do not want the incumbent/wholesaler to perform DHCP. This is a HUGE
headache. We have that in Canada for cable wholesale (TPIA). The
incumbent has to micromanage each ISPs IP blocks and carve subnets for
each CMTS (for cable).

For as much as everyone hates PPPoE, it makes for managememnt of a
wholesale systems much much easier.

Ideally, there would be some protocol where the CPE would setup a layer
2 SVC to the ISP, after which the ISP can provide DHCP services etc.