carrier comparison

Vlade Ristevski vristevs at ramapo.edu
Thu Feb 6 16:04:56 UTC 2014

We have had Cogent over Verizon's Fiber for more than a few years now.
Cogent goes down once at year at minimum. They had 2 outages in a single
day a couple days ago in Northern NJ.  One in the AM "..caused by a
power outage in a vendor data center where Cogent is collocated." They
went on to have another outage at around 9:30 PM on the same day for
which I'm still waiting for an RFO. During this outage, they still were
advertising our BGP routes so we didn't fail over to our 2nd provider. I
notice that happens alot with them. When they go down, they still
advertise your routes.

As far as price goes, for us Cogent is cheap but Lightpath is cheaper.

Our college is kind of far from things so we don't have a lot of outside
fiber coming. The last mile fiber for both of our connections are
different from our Internet providers. I've never had a big issue with
the two working with each other. The only issue we had is I suspected we
weren't getting as much bandwidth as we paid for. They had to work out
where the policer and/or bottle neck was. This is the only issue we had
in 5 years with this set up and it got resolved. IME, when there is a
full outage, it's always been clear who the responsible party is.