SIP on FTTH systems

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Feb 6 15:32:14 UTC 2014

On Thursday, February 06, 2014 04:56:15 PM Mikael
Abrahamsson wrote:

> Yes, this is for hundreds of thousands of customers. Why
> do you need customer management? You document where a
> certain fiber goes to (what port), and then this port
> goes to a certain customer. That is the only customer
> management you need.
>
> So you provision your L3 switch with a protocol based
> 0x86dd vlan per port, put a static /64 L3 subinterface
> into this vlan, then you have a built in DHCPv6(-PD)
> server in the same switch that hands out a static /56 on
> this vlan, plus hands out DNS-resolver etc. No dynamics,
> just static. You provision ACLs to only allow the /56,
> /64 and LL in on the L3 interface. You set ND cache max
> size to 20-50 entries per L3 subinterface to protect the
> 1024-2048 entries or whatever the L3 switch can handle.
> For IPv4 you need to do all the L2/L3-inspection magic
> in a common vlan.

> This is now a standalone unit and you don't need any
> central system to stay up and running in order to move
> IPv6 packets, and you support both directly attached
> computer or a residential gateway that wants PD.

I won't lie, it is impressive that you strung the network
this way. I can certainly see how it would work, although
I'm not sure how well it would scale if you're diddling
about with all sorts of kinky services beyond just access to
the Internet (certinaly a concern for me, anyway).

At previous job, we looked at various topologies and
deployment techniques for how to support large scale FTTH
installations, and one of the key issues is impact on the
control plane for locally-ran DHCP servers on the routers,
particularly when the same router is providing business
services as well. Some vendors have seen the light and are
finally running x86-based multi-core 64-bit CPU's for
control plane processing, and while this may help, CPU
horsepower is finite (although it would, most certainly,
scale better than a Layer 3 switch doing the same thing).

When you start to add services like Multicast for IPTv, and
depending on whether you run these switches in a ring or
not, and whether you're running Rosen MVPN vs. NG-MVPN, you
can quickly start to hit platform limits or feature
constraints.

> I did this type of DSL deplayment early 2000nds with an
> L3 switch and an ethernet DSLAM as media converter. This
> was obviously IPv4 only, but worked very well. At the
> same time the guys with central DHCP systems had a lot
> of country wide outages when the DHCP system went
> belly-up.

I don't believe in centralized BNG's; mostly because traffic
forwarding is not optimal. That and it's too much trust in
one device.

I prefer distributed BNG's (much like the topology you
describe, only just less your deployment in number given how
much you can scale a single Layer 3 switch to act as a
service termination device). Along with distributed BNG's,
you can also distribute DHCP servers, and multiple DHCP
servers can maintain lease state amongst each other to allow
for failover in case the primary DHCP server breaks. This is
a known design tactic, and helps to take away from the
issues of centralized architectures.

> I would never want to have MPLS that far out into the
> network.

This is a different topic, but what we did was deploy MPLS
all the way into the Metro-E access using Cisco's ME3600X
because there had simply been to much pain doing legacy
Layer 2-based Metro-E solutions (stringing VLAN's together
between end points, keeping hands away from VTP, e.t.c.).
This was in 2010, and by then, there wasn't any decent
devices cheap enough with sufficient features to make this
possible.

I'd certainly recommend this architecture for Metro-E
deployments focused on business-grade services. I don't
expect most to follow it given there is a large Layer 2-
based Metro-E installed base, but I think it will grow with
time.

Mark.