SIP on FTTH systems

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 6 14:17:42 UTC 2014

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Mark Tinka wrote:

>> Or do something bold, run L3 at the edge :)
>
> BNG's are too big to distributed that deeply, even in
> distributed BNG designs. This would get costly.

You don't need a BNG. You need an L3 switch as the first hop the customer
is talking to.

> Cheap switches that have decent IP/MPLS support are mostly geared toward
> Metro-E deployments, i.e., business-grade services. So they are quite
> poor with regard to susbcriber management features and capabilities.

If you have L3-in-vlan-per-customer at the first hop then you don't really
need all of that. If you include rudimentary VRF support then you can even
support wholesale. /64 per customer, DHCPv6(-PD) server support in the L3
switch and you're good to go. There is equipment that already claim to do
this (I never got to test their implementation based on my requirements
because I switched jobs, but they claimed to have implemented everything
last year).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se