SIP on FTTH systems

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Feb 6 13:58:11 UTC 2014

On Thursday, February 06, 2014 03:46:54 PM Mikael
Abrahamsson wrote:

> We're in violent agreement it seems.

Tend to agree.

> My only beef was
> that it seemed like you were implying this was something
> new.

In most of my travels, there is a healthy amount of
resistance toward DHCP from new (but mostly, existing)
broadband service providers when choosing between DHCP and
PPPoE for Unicast traffic. And the reasons for this vary -
we saw the OP is PPPoE-biased, for example.

It is better in 2014 than it was in 2011 in those places,
but by and large, DHCP adoption for subscriber management is
not moving as quickly as one would think, especially when
you consider all the FTTH work going on around the world.

Mark.