SIP on FTTH systems

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 6 12:29:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Mark Tinka wrote:

> The models I listed are typical to an operator that runs its own
> infrastructure (including the FTTH last mile), and does not necessarily
> wholesale out to other operators.

I disagree on that one as well. It might be in some markets, but it's not
in all.

> I've seen certain countries that have given the incumbents leeway to
> wholesale at the IP level, which the incumbent likes because they
> "perceive" more control than if they had to hand-off Layer 2 wholesale.
> In such cases, VRF's and/or logical routers have been deployed.

This wasn't incumbents specifically, but just a different model to achieve
the same thing, give end users access to multiple ISPs, multiple "cable
TV" vendors, and multiple VOIP providers through a neutral network.

> Agree. DHCP really is the way to go, now. Plus, there is good support
> for IPv6 with vendors today re: DHCP-based subscriber management.

What do you mean by subscriber management? This worked 10 years ago, what
problem are you saying has been solved recently?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se